- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 Tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 2x 400g tinned lentils, drained
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2-3 large orange kumara, peeled and cut into chunks
- 25g butter
- Grated cheese to finish, if desired
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius fan bake. In a heavy based pan, bring a generous drizzle of olive oil to a medium heat. Once hot, sauté the onion, garlic, carrot and dried herbs for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables have begun to soften.
- Stir the flour into the vegetable mixture, then add the tinned tomatoes, lentils, and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 5-10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced slightly and the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the lentils are cooking, boil the kumara pieces in salted water until tender when tested with a knife. Drain, then mash with the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the lentil sauce has reduced, transfer to an ovenproof baking or pie dish. Carefully top with the mashed kumara and use a spoon to spread over the entirety of the lentil mixture.
- Top with grated cheese if desired, then place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy.
Our top tip
Prepare this recipe in advance for a quick weeknight option. Simply cool the cottage pie after step four, then cover and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days. Bake for 30-40 minutes from chilled.
This delicious cottage pie can easily be made vegan – just omit the butter and grated cheese.