1. Who can enter and what are the categories?
We are looking for innovation across the entire grocery category and have two categories for entry. The first category is startups who have a product, are at early stages of trading, but are not yet selling to the New World network and have the ability to scale up to start trading in New World Stores. The second category is small suppliers who have registered as a vendor with both Foodstuffs or either North or South Island and might be selling to a limited number of stores within a couple of regional areas. Should have capacity and resource to scale up into more stores.
2. If I have different flavours within the same product do I have to submit an entry for each flavour?
No, if you have 1 product with multiple flavours you can mention this in your entry. If you have 2 different products, then you will need to submit separate entries.
3. Can I still enter if I’m based outside of Auckland or Christchurch?
You can enter as long as your business is currently operating in New Zealand. However, most of the support provided in the prizes package is based in Auckland and some in Christchurch, so if you are not based in one of these cities you should have the means to travel there when required, to take full advantage of the support available.
4. Can I still enter if my products are already in the New World supermarket network?
Only if you are supplying to a small number of stores. You might be selling your products in a few local New World supermarkets but if you win, you will become part of the compulsory range which is the ability to go into as many New World stores as is suited to your business across New Zealand.
Plus there are other valuable prizes in the prize package including support in brand and marketing, business mentorship, product development & manufacturing, and more!
5. My product doesn’t look “pretty” right now, but my customers love it. How will you judge unwrapped/rustic looking products?
We are looking for products with great potential to disrupt their category. Tell us why your customers love this product, and how you think it will fit into a supermarket shelf. The business incubation process will help you turn your ugly duckling into a swan.
6. My business has the potential to be more sustainable, but I don’t know where to start, will this impact my entry?
We are always looking at better ways that products can be sourced/packaged and understand that this is an ever-evolving space as newer technology comes through. As part of the winner’s prize pack we provide a consultation on ways to improve the sustainability aspects of the product/business.
7. How does this competition work?
Foodstuffs Emerge 2023 is divided into 4 main phases:
Phase 1: The call to action starts on 19th June 2023. Once you have downloaded the downloadable application and you are ready to fill out the online form, you can enter the competition following this link. Please note that we only accept entries submitted through the application portal that we send you, submissions through emails or any other means will not be accepted. All entries must be submitted before 11.59 PM on 30th July 2023.
Phase 2: Entries close, we will select up to 20 semi-finalists who will be announced by August 2023. All semi-finalists will prepare a longer application which will be due end of August 2023.
Out of the semi-finalists, we will select up to 10 finalists who will be invited to pitch to a panel of judges at the final event. The finalists will be announced early September 2023.
Phase 3: The winners will be selected, announced, and celebrated at the Final event on 13th October 2023*
Phase 4: After the prize-giving, winners begin their acceleration journey and will be surrounded by expert supports from Foodstuffs, New World, New Zealand Food Innovation Network and DDB.
*This could be subject to change if required due to COVID-19 pandemic.
8. What are the key dates* of this competition?
• 19th June 2023: Entries open.
• 30th July 2023: Entries close.
• Early August 2023: Semi-finalists to be announced. All semi-finalists to prepare a longer application.
• End August 2023: Long applications close.
• Early September 2023: Finalists announced.
• Final Event 13th October : pitch night and winners announced.
• Following the event: Winners start working with Foodstuffs and partners.
* these dates are subject to change if required due to the Covid-19 pandemic
9. How many winners and what are the prizes?
Two winners will be selected nationally. And will receive a combined package of in-kind prizes worth up to $140k+:
• Foodstuffs will partner with the winner to develop a strategy based on current position/scalability and ability to supply to New World Stores
• PR Time & Resource with paid media support
• Precision Media campaign solutions and in-store activation tailored to your product’s range allocation
• Food Innovation Network Scale Up Support*
• DDB 2hr strategy workshop and mini starter toolkit (based on design exploration)
• dunnhumby Emerging Supplier Snapshot
• 2 hrs consulting on sustainable packaging
* The prize is in-kind support from either FoodBowl in Auckland or FoodSouth in Christchurch (part of New Zealand Food Innovation Network). The services we can offer include advice, recipe development and prototyping at our food safe pilot plant. We may also be able to do small scale production (depends on the product)
10. How will the Final Event work?
The Finalists will be shortlisted, and they will have the chance to pitch their product to the judging panel in a dragons den style event. If you are selected as one of the finalists, the judges will want to see, taste, and touch your product, and hear why your business, and you, should be chosen for this amazing opportunity. There is also an interactive piece with the audience for them to cast a vote on their favorite product. You will be expected to provide some tasting samples/packaged samples for them to try/touch and feel.
11. If I am selected to present at Final – do I need to cover my own travel and accommodation expenses.
We will provide 2-night stay at the Sudima Hotel Auckland Airport, 18 Airpark Drive, Māngere, Auckland 2022, for up to 2 people per finalist entry. It will be up to you to cover travel costs to get to Auckland.