It's in the bag chicken
Try this summer BBQ twist on the classic kiwi roast chicken. All the hard work happens in the bag, so you’re winning already!
- 1 size 16 chicken
- Peri Peri Marinade:
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup De Winkel Natural Yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp crushed red chilli flakes
- Freshly ground sea salt & black
- pepper, to season
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Butterfly the chicken. Simply cut the backbone out with a pair of kitchen scissors and firmly press it flat.
- For the marinade add ingredients to a plastic zip-lock bag then add chicken. Massage to mix then place in the fridge for at least an hour to marinade (ideally over night).
- Preheat the BBQ grill to medium. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place the chicken on the grill, skin side down. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly grill until the fat renders and the skin becomes golden brown and crisp; about 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and season again. Close the BBQ cover and continue grilling until just cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- If you don’t have a hooded BBQ, you can finish cooking the chicken in a 180°C oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Top with fresh coriander and serve with your favourite summery salad.
TIP: You can substitute the peri peri flavour with tandoori or even Thai green curry. Simply mix 1 cup of De Winkel Natural Yoghurt with store-bought curry paste.