Pan-Fried Fish with Spinach and Zucchini Noodles
“Zoodles” are a popular alternative to regular wheat noodles and offer a lighter, gluten-free option that goes beautifully with fresh fish fillets.
- 800 grams firm white fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and small knob of butter
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralised or julienned
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup black olives, pitted
Dust both sides of the fish with turmeric and season with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil and butter in a large sauté pan and add the cumin seeds, then the fish. Cook both sides, spooning over the cumin oil, until just cooked through.
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and add the garlic and carrots, tossing for 2 minutes until the carrots just start to soften a little.
Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2–3 minutes, turning to just warm the zucchini through. You still want them to be crisp. Add the spinach and lemon juice and quickly toss together.
Divide the vegetables between shallow bowls and top with the fish and olives, spooning the fish pan juices over the top.