- 60g unsalted butter
- 60g sugar
- 6 apples, quartered and cored
- 400g packet frozen Puff Pastry, at room temperature
- 22cm non-stick ovenproof frypan
1. Tart: Using your knuckles, squash the butter into the base of the frypan and sprinkle the sugar over the butter evenly. Arrange the apples in the pan tightly, leaving room around the edge to tuck in the pastry.
2. Roll the pastry out to a 25cm circle about 4mm thick. Pick the pastry up gently and lay it over the top of the apples. Tuck the pastry over the apples tightly, making sure it goes right to the bottom of the pan. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C bake.
4. Put the pan on a medium heat and cook the tart until the edges are bubbling and toffee coloured. Place the pan in the oven for 45 minutes until the pastry is golden and puffed.
5. To serve: Remove the pan from the oven, remembering the handle will be very hot, and place on a board to rest for 8-10 minutes. Place a large serving plate or board over the top of the tart and flip it over in one swift movement. Then cross your fingers, lift the pan up and there’s your tarte tatin. Serve with ice-cream, cream, or your favourite custard