Chicken drumsticks with kumara
This recipe has nice fresh flavours which would taste equally good if made the day before and served cold. The yoghurt dressing has toasted sesame seeds in it but you can use tahini instead if you have some.
View the method
- 900g Chicken Drumsticks
- 500g Kumara
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1½ tsp Gregg’s Garlic Granules
- 1 tsp Gregg’s Sage
- 1 cup Living Parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 100g sesame seeds, toasted
- 200g De Winkle Plain Unsweetened Yoghurt
- 1 bag green beans, top and tail
- Also need: salt, pepper, olive oil
- Wine match: Villa Maria Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc 750ml
Back to ingredients
- Heat the oven to 180◦C.
- Season the drumsticks and roast for 40 minutes or until cooked.
- In a large bowl, put the kumara, spring onion, 1 tsp garlic granules, sage, lemon juice, 1 tbs olive oil and ½ the parsley. Season well.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stirring a couple of times, until soft and glazed.
- Meanwhile make the sauce.
- Lightly toast the sesame seeds in a pan then grind/chop them with ½ tsp garlic granules until as close to a paste as you can get.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seed mix, yoghurt, lemon zest and the remaining parsley (chopped more finely). Season well.
- Put some water onto boil and blanch the green beans.
- Serve altogether with a spoonful of yoghurt dressing each.
- Yams can replace kumara in this recipe.
- Unsweetened yoghurt is versatile. Use in scone and cake recipes.
- Make a yoghurt dip or mix 50/50 with cream in an ice cream recipe.
- Add honey for those who like sweetened yoghurt.