- 2kg pork shoulder, bone in and skin on (room temperature)
- 1 Wild Fennel Meat Spice Blend (or a 2 tbsp mix of paprika, cumin & oregano)
- 1 tin butter beans or cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 cooking apples, cored & quartered
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp vinegar (preferably apple cider)
- Pre-heat the oven to 230°C fan bake.
- Thoroughly dry the pork skin using paper towels. Then, using a very sharp knife, make scores about 1 cm apart into the skin and fat, being careful not to go so deep that you cut into the flesh of the meat.
- Season the pork flesh and skin generously with salt, making sure to get in the score lines. Then rub the spice mix all over the pork.
- Place the beans, leeks, garlic and apples, into the bottom of a medium-sized roasting dish. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper and toss to coat. Place the pork shoulder on top of the fruit and vegetables, drizzle with a little olive oil and then carefully pour the stock and vinegar over, being mindful not to wet the pork skin.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes, until the pork skin has puffed up, started to crackle and turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and cover with foil. Reduce the temperature to 160°C fan bake and return to the oven for 3 ½ hours.
- Remove the foil and turn the oven back up to 230°C fan bake to allow the crackling to crisp up again. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and leave to rest for 20 minutes before carving and serving.
Top tip: If time permits, leave the pork shoulder uncovered in the fridge overnight to help dry it out.
Free meat spice blend*
Purchase an item from the butchery department, scan your Clubcard and get a free meat spice blend*.
Promotion runs 20 September to 26 September 2021 or while stocks last. North Island only. You must purchase an Eligible Product to receive the spice blend. *See full terms and conditions.