- 20g (half packet) dried sliced shiitake mushrooms*
- ½ cos lettuce or fresh cut lettuce*
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion*, finely diced
- 2cm fresh ginger, grated or 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 500g pork mince*
- 2 carrots*, grated or finely diced
- 150g round green beans*, sliced
- ½ cup hoisin sauce*
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Place shiitake mushrooms in a bowl and add just enough boiling water from a kettle to cover it and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- As the mushrooms soak prepare the lettuce by separating the leaves, rinsing, then pat drying them. Place on a serving plate.
- Carefully remove the hot mushrooms and place on a plate, once cooled, cut into small pieces. Save the mushroom broth.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on the stove over medium-high heat, add onion and sauté until it becomes translucent and soft.
- Add in ginger and garlic and fry until fragrant, mix through pork mince, mushrooms, and carrots, stir fry until cooked.
- Add ¼ cup of the mushroom broth, green beans, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and pepper. Let it simmer and reduce for 5 minutes. Test taste and add additional seasoning ingredients or salt, if needed.
- To serve, spoon mince mixture into lettuce cups, drizzle with any remaining hoisin sauce from the bottle.
Tips: To stretch the meal further we recommend cooking rice to serve with this meal. If you have any remaining mushroom broth and a small amount of hoisin sauce left pour broth into the sauce bottle, cover, and shake then pour into a small saucepan, heat, and reduce. Then use as additional sauce before serving.
Leftovers: Keep the mince and lettuce separate. Mince can be frozen. Or eat for lunch the next day with the remaining lettuce and/or rice.