Asparagus cheese pies
No need to muck about making pastry – just use a loaf of bread and whip up these instant pie bases.
- Lunch box
- 2 bunches (or 24 spears) of asparagus,
- 1/2 cup Mainland Egmont cheese, grated
- 4 eggs,
- 1/2 cup Anchor cream,
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 12 slices thin white bread,
- 50g Mainland butter, melted
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water for two-three minutes until just cooked.
2. Cut the crusts off the bread slices and brush each side with melted butter, pressing them into a 12-hole muffin tin.
3. Slice the asparagus diagonally into one centimetre slices – separate the tips and pile the remainder into the bread cases.
4. Place the Mainland Egmont on top of the asparagus followed by two asparagus tips.
5. Beat together the eggs, cream, lemon zest and seasoning and pour evenly between the 12 pies.
6. Bake at 180° C for 15- 20 minutes or until the egg mixture has set.