- 225g plain flour
- ½ cup icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 125g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- zest, finely grated, and juice of 2 lemons
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled
- 2 dessert apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 25g raw sugar
- vanilla-bean ice-cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. For tart base, place flour, icing sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor; pulse until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolks; process until combined. Add a splash of chilled water; process until dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and shape into a disc. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll dough out between two sheets of baking paper and place into a 28cm tart tin, using a sharp knife to trim the edges. Return to the fridge.
- For filling, place eggs, caster sugar, and lemon zest and juice in a bowl; whisk to combine. Stir in butter. Grate Granny Smiths into mixture; stir to combine.
- Remove base from fridge and pour in apple mixture, spreading it out evenly. Place sliced dessert apples around the edge of tart, slightly overlapping; sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Serve with ice-cream.