Dutch speculaas (spiced biscuits)
A traditional recipe for tasty lightly spiced biscuits. You can roll out the dough and cut out shapes too…the perfect job for helpful toddlers.
- 250 g Flour
- 175 g Butter
- 140 g Brown Sugar
- 1 level Tablespoon ground mixed spice [or 2 if you love spices]
- 1 level Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 50 ml Milk
- 2 pinches Baking Soda
- Cream butter and sugar until soft and creamy, mix in other ingredients until a smooth soft dough is formed.
- Shape dough into two rolls of 3-5 cm diameter.
- Leave dough to rest 30 minutes in fridge for the spice flavor to develop.
- Cut dough in 1 cm rounds and place on 2 lightly greased cookie sheets, with space for spreading.
- Alternatively you can also roll the dough out flat and cut out shapes.
- Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Transfer to cooling rack or a cold cookie sheet until cold.
You can press crushed nuts, slivered almonds or a walnut on top of biscuits before baking.