Boiled Fruit Cake
One of my favourite recipes and a great seller down here on the West Coast of the South Island. The locals comment favourably and especially on its almond orange flavour. Good for lunches, picnics, morning/ afternoon teas. Some like it with icing for celebration cakes….it keeps well. A good all round tasty versatile cake.
- 400g sultanas
- 235g butter
- 4 eggs
- 235g sugar
- 280g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp orange essence
- 1 tsp almond essence
- Boil the fruit and drain, leaving small amount of liquid (about 30ml). Add chopped butter to the hot fruit and let sit and cool to a workable temperature.
- In the meantime weigh up and sieve the dry ingredients into a separate bowl.
- Weigh out the eggs and sugar, whisk until full volume (4-5 minutes depending on your mixer).
- Remove the whisk and change to a paddle. Add the dry ingredients to the egg/sugar mix and combine lightly.
- Add the fruit and butter mixture, and mix batter until the butter has totally disappeared from top of mixture.
- Line a 190x190mm x 65 mm high tin with baking paper, and grease well.
- Pour the batter evenly into tin and level from the centre.
- Bake at 165 degrees for 75 – 90 minutes depending on oven.