Carrot cake with cream cheese icing
This classic carrot cake is delicious, moist and super easy. Topped off with a cream cheese icing, this will fast become a favourite in your home.
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 110g cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 225g icing sugar
- juice of 1 small lime
- Beat brown sugar and oil until completely combined. Add eggs and vanilla essence and mix in.
- Sift in both flours, cinnamon, mixed spice, salt and baking soda. Mix until all dry ingredients are moist.
- Add grated carrots and mix. Pour into greased cake tin and bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes at 180 degrees celcius.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, sift in icing sugar and mix until thick consistency. Add lime juice to taste.
- When cake is cold, spread with icing. If desired ice sides or colour last bit of icing orange and green to decorate top with iced carrots.
Optional: sprinkle with roughly chopped walnuts.