Chelsea christmas cake
We're loving this tried and true recipe - the secret to success is baking on a low temperature for longer.
View the method
- 250g butter
- 2 cups Chelsea White sugar
- 2kg mixed dried fruit
- 1 cup sherry
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp Chelsea Golden Syrup or Treacle
- 4 eggs
- 450g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp orange zest
Back to ingredients
- Heat butter, sugar, fruit, sherry, spice, baking soda & syrup in a saucepan over a medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat & allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 125°C. Grease a deep 25cm tin & triple line with baking paper.
- Beat eggs and stir through cooled fruit mixture.
- Sift dry ingredients, fold into fruit mixture with orange zest.
- Spoon into tin, bake for approx. 4½ hours or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
Decorate once cool.