Cinnamon swirl banana bread
Weekends call for baking. Prepare to drool as the smells of this cinnamon swirl banana bread baking fills your home! Best served warm, this simple recipe is going to be one for the family recipe book.
- 125g + 50g butter, softened
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- ½ cup + 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1tsp baking soda
- 3 ripened bananas
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius fan bake. In a large mixing bowl, cream together 125g softened butter, ½ cup caster sugar, ½ cup brown sugar and the vanilla using an electric beater or whisk until light and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Sieve together the flour and baking powder with a pinch of salt, then fold into the wet ingredients.
- In a small jug, whisk together the milk and baking soda. Add to the batter, along with two mashed bananas, until just combined; ensuring not to overmix. Melt the remaining butter, then mix with the remaining sugars and ground cinnamon.
- To assemble the banana bread, spoon ⅓ of the batter into a lined loaf tin. Dollop half of the melted butter and sugar mixture, then use a skewer to marble into the batter. Repeat the layers and finish with the last ⅓ of batter on top.
- Slice the remaining banana in half lengthways, then lay cut side up on top of the banana bread. Place into the center of the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when tested. Leave to cool completely before slicing as needed, then enjoy.
TOP TIP: Once the loaf has cooled, slice the banana bread and freeze in portions for quick go-to baking, any time of the week. Simply defrost at room temperature and toast if desired!