Date and orange scones
There’s nothing more delightful than sitting down to a freshly baked scone! These date and orange scones are filled with delicate flavour, and are matched perfectly with a spoonful of our homemade strawberry compote and thickened cream!
View the method
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 ⅓ cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp + ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 50g cold butter, cubed
- ¾ cup cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup pitted dates, cut into small chunks
- Thickened or clotted cream, to serve
Back to ingredients
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius. To make the compote, place the strawberries, orange juice and 1 Tbsp caster sugar in a saucepan. Place over a medium heat, and stir regularly for 10-15 minutes or until the strawberries have broken down and the compote thickens. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, 3 Tbsp caster sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice and a pinch of salt. Pulse until lightly mixed, then add the cubed butter and pulse until the mixture reaches a sandy consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- To do this by hand, mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the cubed butter, and use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour until the same consistency is achieved.
- In a separate bowl or jug, whisk together the cream, 1 egg, vanilla. Make a well in the dry ingredients, then pour the wet mixture into it. Add the chopped dates and orange zest. Then using a butter knife or wooden spoon, mix until it forms a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface, then lightly dust with flour and roll out to 4-5cm thickness. Use a circular cookie or pastry cutter to cut rounds from the dough, then place onto a lined baking tray.
- Beat the remaining egg and brush over the scones. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of caster sugar evenly over the scones, then place into the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden in colour and cooked in the center. Leave to cool slightly.
- Serve the scones with the cooled compote and thickened cream, or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Store the compote in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.