- 3 cups plain flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of grated Tasty cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk (approximately)
For ham and cheese scones add:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped ham
Cookware: Baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and cheese - ham optional) into a bowl and mix together.
- Add the egg and most of the milk. Mix together by cutting through the mixture with a knife (this avoids over-mixing which creates tough scones).
- The mixture should be quite wet, so add the remaining milk if required and mix through.
- Turn the mixture onto a floured surface. Cut into shapes, place on the lined baking tray, sprinkle a little cheese on top and bake for 10-15 minutes or until risen and golden brown.
Flour/baking powder – If you don’t happen to have one of these key ingredients on hand, don’t stress. There may be a solution! Self raising flour can be used as a substitute since it’s just plain flour with baking powder already in it. Use 3 cups + 6 tsp of self raising flour for the above recipe.
Cheese – Freshly grated cheese is required for this recipe. Don’t use pre shredded as it is coated in starch which doesn’t incorporate well into scones. Strong cheese like Tasty works best.
To create savoury scone variations of these cheese scones, try adding any of the below ingredients:
- ½ cup of ham
- ½ cup of cooked bacon pieces
- ¼ cup of sundried tomatoes
- ¼ cup of feta cheese (add into the middle)
- ½ cup of caramelised onions
How long do scones keep?
It’s best to serve the scones on the day they’re made, but they can keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Just warm them before serving to make them fluffy and soft.
Can I replicate the steps used in this recipe to make sweet scones?
We’d suggest trying our Best ever scones recipe instead.