- ½ cup (130g) wholemeal flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 115g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sunflower oil
- 4 medium pears, peeled, cut in half lengthways
- 8 walnut halves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Brush the base and sides of a 20cm-diameter, round springform cake tin with oil. Line the base with baking paper that has been cut in a circle to fit the base of the tin.
- For the base, mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon, then stir in the muscovado sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg, milk and oil; then mix into the dry ingredients until smooth. Pour the mixture evenly into the tin.
- Remove the seeds and core from the pears. Arrange the pears ‘cut’ side down in the tin with a walnut half in the cavity where the seeds would be. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until firm to the touch. Turn out onto a serving plate. Serve hot with yogurt, custard or cream.