Nut butter and chocolate brownies
This nut butter and chocolate brownie recipe is decadent and fudgy, all while being a little better for you! Free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar, this is the perfect after dinner sweet treat or lunchbox addition.
- 125g + 75g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup softened or melted coconut oil
- 3 whole eggs
- ¾ cup + 1Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup good quality cocoa powder, sieved
- ¼ cup smooth nut butter of your choice**
- Sea salt flakes, if desired
** ensure you use a natural or pure nut butter with no added sugar or preservatives for the best result!
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius fan bake. In a microwave safe bowl, melt 125g chopped dark chocolate and coconut oil in 30 second bursts, stirring after every burst until melted. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, whisk the eggs and coconut sugar for 3-5 minutes until lightened in colour and fluffy. While mixing, slowly stream the chocolate and oil mixture into the eggs until fully incorporated.
- Add the ground almonds and sieved cocoa powder into the egg mixture, then use a spatula to fold the mixtures together. Spoon the brownie mixture into a lined square cake tin.
- Scatter half of the remaining chocolate over the surface of the brownie mixture, then drizzle or dollop the peanut butter over the top. Finish by scattering the remaining chopped chocolate over the top and sprinkle with sea salt flakes if desired.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the brownie tests almost clean in the center, with some light batter remaining on the skewer when tested. Leave to cool for 20 minutes in the tin, before removing and leaving to cool completely. Cut into squares then serve or keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
TOP TIP: We used peanut butter in our delicious brownie, but if you have a peanut allergy or prefer a different flavour, substitute for any natural nut butter of your choice for an equally delicious combination!