- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 Tbsp + ½ cup caster sugar**
- 1 Tbsp + 1tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 60g cold butter, diced
- ¾ cup milk
- Rice bran or vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup Nutella/chocolate hazelnut spread
- Add the flour, 2 Tbsp caster sugar, baking powder and salt to a food processor or bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Add the cold butter to the flour mixture, and blend or rub into the dry ingredients until it reaches a sandy/crumb consistency. Finally, gradually add the milk and gently mix until the mixture forms a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth, adding more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Stir together the remaining sugar and cinnamon and set aside. Fill a medium sized pot ½ full with oil, and bring to a suitable frying temperature (around 180 degrees celsius).
- Roll the dough into 12 even sized balls, then fry 3-4 at a time until golden brown on all sides; around 4-5 minutes. Drain on paper towel, then while warm, roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, use a skewer to poke a hole in one side of the cooked donut. Place the Nutella in a piping or ziplock bag, snip the end, and pipe Nutella into the hole of the donut. Serve and enjoy, or keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.