Oxfam’s Nutty Chocolate and Coffee Brownies
Help make a difference to the lives of millions of farmers and workers when you bake, by choosing Fairtrade. Visit www.fairtrade.org.nz to find out more.
- 50g Whittaker’s Dark Ghana Fairtrade chocolate, roughly broken up
- 110g butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 225g unrefined (golden) Fairtrade sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 100g hazelnuts (chopped in half)
- 100g butter, softened to room temp
- 100g icing sugar
- 100g cream cheese
- 1 tbsp strong black Fairtrade coffee
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a tin measuring approximately 27cm x 18cm and line with baking paper, allowing paper to rise 3cm above the tin.
2. Toast hazelnuts in oven for 10 minutes (maximum) until lightly browned.
3. Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir in sugar. Beat in eggs and chocolate mixture until well-mixed. Stir in hazelnuts.
4. Pour mixture into the tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until centre springs back when lightly pressed.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in tin.
6. To make frosting, beat butter and icing sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in cream cheese and coffee. Spread frosting on cooled Brownies.
7. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes, then cut into squares.