Doyenné Du Comice pear tart
This pear tart recipe uses Doyenné Du Comice pears to make a sweet, fruity and delightfully stylish dessert.
View the method
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 4 Doyenné Du Comice pears
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Back to ingredients
- Heat oven to 175°C. Coat a 22- to 25-cm tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy; beat in the egg and almond extract (if using). Reduce the mixer speed to medium and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until fully incorporated (the dough will be very soft).
- Using a small spatula, spread the dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan. With floured fingers, even out the sides of the crust, if necessary (you will need to continue to flour your fingers while pressing).
- Peel, core, and cut each pear into wedges. Arrange one ring of pears with the tips pointing toward the centre and slightly overlapping them on top of the dough. Top with another ring, working in the opposite direction. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and remaining tablespoon sugar. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the pears are tender, 65 to 75 minutes. Let cool for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, combine the jam and lemon juice. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the jam has melted. Gently brush the jam mixture over the entire tart.