Spiced JAZZ™ apple ans dulce de leche bars
Award-winning JAZZ™ apples are the perfect balance of tart, sweet, juicy and crunchy, making them perfect for these delicious spiced apple bars. Dulce de leche and spiced apples are sandwiched between two layers of oat-y crumble biscuit – a tasty sweet treat.
Crumble and base
- 250g butter, cubed
- 200g plain flour
- 150g rolled oats
- 140g brown sugar
- 50g coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 720g JAZZ™ apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 380g tin of dulce de leche (caramel)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a 20 x 20cm tin with baking paper.
- Place all crumble ingredients in a bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until completely incorporated.
- Press 2/3 of the crumble mixture into the lined tin. Place the remaining mixture in the refrigerator. This will make it easier to crumble up later. Use the back of a spoon to smooth base out evenly Bake for 15 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Cut apples into thin slices then place in a pot over a low heat along with the ground spices. Cook for 10 minutes or until apples have just started soften. Be careful not to let them get mushy.
- Smear 2/3 of the dulce de leche over the baked base then top with apples. Use your hands to crumble the remaining crumble mixture over the apples.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown. Leave in the tin to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Place remaining caramel in a microwave proof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds or until runny. Drizzle over bars and chill.