Strawberry, Orange and Coconut Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing
A gorgeous moist, tender cake filled with pieces of juicy fruit and topped with a finger-licking good icing – also made with fresh strawberries. We garnished our cake with extra fruit, toasted shredded coconut and a sprinkling of freeze-dried strawberries.
- 150 grams butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, size 7
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup buttermilk or plain yoghurt
- finely grated zest 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 15 medium strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 100 grams cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100 grams butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 3–4 strawberries, hulled and crushed with a fork
- Grease a 22cm springform cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C fan bake.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and pale. Whisk the eggs together and gradually beat in until very well combined. Mix the flour, baking powder, cardamom and the coconut together. Gently fold into the butter mixture along with the buttermilk, orange zest and juice and the strawberries.
- Pour into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for about 1 hour until golden and the cake is pulling away from the sides of the tin. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth, then add the butter and beat again until light and fluffy. Beat in the icing sugar. Beat in half the strawberries, then add enough of the remaining pulp to make a thick but spreadable icing. You may not need to add all the strawberry pulp.
- Spread over the cake and decorate with any or all of our suggested toppings.
- Store any leftover cake in the refrigerator.
Cook’s note: If garnishing with fresh strawberries, add them just before serving otherwise the juices will melt the icing on the cake.