Vegan nut roast with candied parsnips
If you’re searching for a show stopping plant-based centrepiece this Christmas, our vegan nut roast with candied parsnip crisps is the perfect choice! Jam-packed full of flavour, you won’t regret making this meat-free wonder.
- 3 parsnips
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp ground linseed Pams Olive Oil
- 1/2 brown onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 400g mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 350g cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- Vegan gravy, to accompany
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan bake. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Peel and dice 2 of the parsnips, and place into the boiling water along with the diced carrot. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until very soft when tested.
- Drain the vegetables and reserve 1/4 cup of the boiling liquid. Mash the vegetables, then add the linseed and reserved cooking liquid. Stir well to combine and set aside.
- Bring a frying pan to a medium heat with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Once heated, add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and dried herbs and cook for a further 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms have cooked down. Drain any excess liquid, then stir in the fresh herbs and brown rice.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture into a large bowl. Add the parsnip mixture, chopped nuts and seasoning, then stir well until all elements are completely incorporated. Transfer to a greased bundt or loaf tin and press to compact the mixture.
- Place the nut roast into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden in colour and hot in the centre. Set aside to cool slightly.
- While the nut roast is baking, use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons from the remaining parsnip. Place in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat.
- Lay the ribbons onto a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the ribbons, then drizzle with honey and return to the oven for a final 5-10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Turn the nut roast out onto a serving plate, then garnish with fresh rosemary, parsnip crisps and cranberries. Serve hot alongside your favourite vegan gravy.