Nathan's hearty casserole
Our fresh experts share their favourite recipes using the best ingredients available at New World.
View the method
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 750g gravy beef, trimmed, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 large desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- Crusty bread, to serve
Back to ingredients
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat.
- Cook beef, in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in dish. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Return beef to dish. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add potato, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary. Stir in wine and stock. Cover dish. Bring to the boil.
- Transfer to oven. Bake for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve with crusty bread.
- For a little bit of a kick throw in some chili or tabasco sauce. You could cook the casserole at 160C/140C for 3 hours. You could use beef chuck, skirt, topside or blade instead of gravy beef.