- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 kg lean beef for casserole, lightly warmed
- 2 Onions, peeled and diced
- 4 rashers rindless bacon, diced
- 15 prunes
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- rind of one large orange
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cup Guinness
- 2 cup Beef stock
- Turn the slow cooker on to low to pre-warm while gathering and preparing ingredients.
- Cut the beef into 2-3cm pieces.
- If wishing to brown the ingredients: Brown the beef, onions and bacon well in a dash of oil in a hot frying pan. This will be best done in several batches to avoid the ingredients from stewing rather than browning.
- Into the pre-warmed slow cooker put the beef, onions, bacon, prunes, garlic, orange rind and thyme.
- Mix together the flour, Guinness and stock to form a smooth mix and pour over the beef. Stir to mix well and cover with the lid.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Season well with salt and pepper. Serve with seasonal vegetables.
- If you do not have Guinness, use another dark-style beer.
- Pare the orange ring thinly to avoid any white bitter pith being added.
- You can use 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme instead of fresh thyme.