Beef kofta and spiced lentil stew
Loaded with juicy meatballs, this hearty slow cooker stew is the perfect dish to warm your belly this winter. Full of fragrant Moroccan spices and the rich nuttiness of lentils, it makes for a moreish weeknight meal that’s anything but boring!
- 2 tins Pams Chilli & Herb Tomatoes
- 2 cups Pams Red Lentils, rinsed
- 1 tin Pams Chickpeas
- 2 cups water
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Moroccan seasoning
- Oil or butter
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, chickpeas and water to your slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, combine the mince, half the onion and half the Moroccan seasoning in a mixing bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Roll the mixture into 15-20 even size koftas. Heat a splash of oil or knob of butter in a large frying pan over medium high heat and brown the koftas on all sides. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining onion and Moroccan seasoning to the large fry pan and sauté until the onion is starting to turn golden. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. Spoon into bowls or tagines and serve.
Top tips: Serve with a drizzle of natural yoghurt and a sprinkle of fresh mint leaves, sliced almonds or for something a bit fancier; pomegranate seeds.
Short on time? Instead of making your mince into koftas, just brown it in the pan with the onion and Moroccan seasoning and add it straight to the slow cooker.