Beef mince cottage pie with scalloped potatoes
Everyone loves cottage pie, especially in the cooler months! This scalloped potato version is both cheesy and comforting and even sneaks in some veggies too. Serve alongside a green salad or steamed veg for a dinner the whole family will love!
- 500g prime beef mince.
- 1 onion, chopped.
- 1 carrot, chopped.
- ½ cup Pams Split Red Lentils.
- 2 cans Pams Diced Tomatoes In Juice With Garlic And Oregano (or similar).
- 2 tsp Pams Soy Sauce.
- 1kg Agria potatoes, peeled.
- 1½ cups Pams Tasty Grated Natural Cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Heat a splash of oil in a large saucepan and add the mince, breaking up any lumps as you go, until the meat is browned.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the lentils, tinned tomatoes, soy sauce and 1½ cups water, season well with salt and bring up to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes until thickened and the lentils are cooked (add a little water to the mix if it’s too dry).
- Slice the potatoes 5mm thick and put into a saucepan of salted water. Bring up to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain well.
- Put the cooked mince into a baking dish and top with the potato slices. Scatter over the grated cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbling. Slice into squares and serve.
Top Tip: Adding red lentils not only extends the beef but has added protein to help nourish your whānau.