Classic Beef and Cheese Burger
A New Zealand family favourite, this cheese burger recipe made with MacKenzie White Rye burger buns are simple and delicious!
- 750g premium beef mince
- 1cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1T Worcestershire sauce
- 2t Tabasco sauce
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Olive oil (to cook)
- To Serve:
- 6 MacKenzie White Rye burger buns
- 150g cheese of your choice. Try Puhoi Creamy Blue for a delicious tangy bite
- 1/3 C mustard (optional)
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1T tomato relish (per burger)
1. For the patties, mix the beef mince, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, garlic and tobasco sauce in a large bowl. Divide into equal portions.
2. Cook in olive oil in the pan over medium-low heat or on the BBQ for a bit of char.
3. Melt cheese on top of patties when you flip them.
4. In the meantime, lightly toast MacKenzie White Rye burger buns in the oven.
5. To serve, spread the bottom halves of your MacKenzie bun with mayo.
6. Top with the lettuce, sliced tomato, your cheesy patty and a dollop of tomato sauce or relish. Finish by placing the MacKenzie bun top half on and serve with plenty of napkins!
MacKenzie Chef Tips:
- Avoid patty shrinkage by pressing a shallow "dimple" in the middle of the patty before you cook.
- To avoid overcooking your patty. Follow this guide:
Medium Rare (red in the middle) – 6 mins total
Medium (pink in middle) 7 mins total
Medium well – 9 mins
Well done - 10 mins
- Only salt beef once patties are formed to avoid them drying out.