- 250 grams rump steak, cut into small cubes
- 2 waxy potatoes (such as Nadine or Jersey Benne), peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 sheets of pre-rolled savoury shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg glaze
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- In a bowl, place the cubed rump steak, potatoes and onion.
- Add salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
- On a lightly floured bench, place 1 pastry sheet.
- Using a small plate as a guide, cut out a circle.
- Repeat with remaining 3 pastry sheets.
- Divide the filling between each pastry round.
- Brush the edges with a little of the egg glaze.
- Fold over the pastry to cover the filling, forming a half-moon shape.
- Secure the edges by crimping together.
- Place pasties on a baking tray lined with baking paper and brush evenly with the egg glaze.
- Make a small slit in the pastry to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the pasties are golden brown and crisp.
Serve hot with Branston pickle.