Angus beef meatballs in red sauce
The perfect meatballs for a tasty dinner.
View the method
- 2 packs of Hellers Angus Beef Meatballs
- 2 tbsp Pams olive oil (plus 2 tbsp for the red sauce)
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp Pams cayenne pepper
- 5 tbsp Penfolds Rawson’s Retreat Cabernet Sauvignon
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- ½ un-waxed orange, well-scrubbed
- 1 litre passata (4 cans of Pams Italian whole peeled tomatoes sieved and chopped)
- 250g jar roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- Sea salt and Pams black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 200g shaved parmesan
- 500g Zartaak dried spaghetti (cook according to packet instructions)
Back to ingredients
- Brown the Hellers Angus Beef Meatballs in a large deep non-stick fry pan (one that has a lid) with the first measure of olive oil. When they are all evenly browned and partially cooked remove from pan and put to one side.
- Into the same fry pan add the second measure of olive oil and the onion; cook till translucent and slightly golden.
- Add the garlic and cayenne pepper, cook 2 minutes then deglaze the pan with the red wine and the squeezed orange (reserve the orange). Add the bay leaf and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the passata and the reserved orange bring to the boil and add the browned Hellers Angus Beef Meatballs. Cover with lid and cook 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Stir in the red peppers and remove the orange and season to taste.
- To serve, pour the meatballs and the sauce over the cooked spaghetti and sprinkle generously with fresh basil leaves and grated parmesan.
Wine suggestion: Cabernet Sauvignon