Moroccan inspired meatballs
Inspired by the flavours of Morocco, these meatballs are mouth-wateringly delicious. Perfect for entertaining, the combination of fragrant meatballs, flavoursome strained yoghurt and a punchy chilli sauce is one not to be missed. Don’t forget the fresh herbs and toasted pitas to complete this stunning centre piece!
- 250g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 + 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 500g prime beef mince
- 1 Tbsp Moroccan seasoning
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint, plus extra for garnish
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- Toasted pita breads & sliced cucumber, to serve
- To make the strained yoghurt, mix together the Greek yoghurt, mixed herbs and zest of 1 lemon with salt and pepper to taste.
- Set a sieve or colander over a large bowl, and line with a clean cloth or cheesecloth. Spoon the yoghurt mixture into the cloth, then cover with the remaining cloth and secure if needed. Place into the fridge to strain for 24 hours.
- Make the chilli oil by combining the chilli flakes, paprika, red wine vinegar, 1 clove of garlic and ⅓ cup of olive oil in a blender. Blend until smooth, then place in an airtight container and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius. In a large bowl, combine the beef mince, Moroccan seasoning, remaining lemon zest, egg, parsley, mint and breadcrumbs. Mince the remaining 2 garlic cloves and add these to the mince mixture along with 1 Tbsp of the chilli oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix well until all ingredients are completely incorporated. Roll the meatball mixture into 6-8 even sized balls, then place onto a lined tray. Place into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- To assemble, spread the strained yoghurt onto plates or a platter. Top with meatballs, then nestle fresh cucumber amongst them.
- Drizzle the chilli oil over the top, and garnish with the remaining fresh herbs. Serve immediately and enjoy alongside toasted pitas.