- 500g prime beef mince
- 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 egg
- Olive oil
- ½ brown onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 4 long rolls (ciabatta rolls pictured)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or 1 mozzarella ball, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Place the mince, dried oregano, garlic powder, parmesan and egg into a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then mix well to combine and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. Take heaped tablespoons of the meatball mixture, and roll into a ball. Lay onto a lined tray and repeat until all the meatballs are rolled. Place into the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes or until just cooked through and juicy.
- To make the Napoletana sauce, place a saucepan over a low heat. Drizzle with olive oil, then add in the onion, garlic and oregano, then saute for 3-4 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Add the tomato paste, and stir well.
- To the saucepan, add the tinned tomatoes and sugar, then stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer, and cook while stirring occasionally for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced slightly and thickened. Season to taste.
- Slice the long rolls in half, and lay onto a baking tray. Spoon the tomato sauce onto both sides. Place 3-5 meatballs down the length of the roll, then spoon more tomato sauce over the top.
- Lay grated or sliced mozzarella over the top of the meatballs, then place into the oven and grill for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Top with fresh basil leaves, then top with the other bread roll half. Enjoy immediately.