- 1kg beef chuck pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Allan Scott Family Winemakers Hawkes Bay Merlot 2020
- 700g tomato passata or puree
- 1 ½ cups beef stock
1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees celsius fan bake. Use a paper towel to pat the beef dry, then season well with salt and pepper.
2. Place a casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Drizzle generously with olive oil, then sear the beef on all sides until golden in colour. Remove the beef from the pan and set it aside in a large bowl.
3. Lower the heat to medium and add another drizzle of olive oil. Add the diced onion, celery and garlic, and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened.
4. Return the beef back into the pan, along with any juices. Add the red wine, tomatoes, beef stock, then season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
5. Cover, leaving the lid slightly ajar, and place into the oven to cook for 2 ½ - 3 hours or until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, use forks to shred the meat, then serve as desired and enjoy.
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
TIP: To enrich the flavours of this ragu add ¼ cup tomato paste after the celery and cook for 1 minute. Then add in 2 sprigs of fresh thyme with the rest of the ingredients and remove the thyme just before serving.
Garnish with freshly grated parmesan and fresh herbs for a finishing touch! Serve with your choice of pasta, mashed potato or polenta.