Add a festive feel to your Christmas get-together with this traditional Christmas drink. It can be served at room temperature or over ice.
View the method
- 4 eggs
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 500ml milk
- 250ml cream, stiffly beaten
- 100ml rum
- 100ml brandy
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Cinnamon to serve
Back to ingredients
- Separate the eggs.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in colour.
- Gradually add 4 tbsp sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Add the milk, cream, rum, brandy and nutmeg and stir to combine.
- With the left over egg whites, place in a bowl and beat them until soft peaks appear. Gradually add 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until the mixture stiffens. Combine the egg whites back into the main mixture.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Pour ice cubes in glasses, spoon froth on top and sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Make a dairy free version by substituting the milk and cream with 2 cups of almond milk.
- For an alcohol free version, simply leave out the liquor, and add a pinch of ginger and teaspoon of honey for extra flavour.