Greek barbecued lamb
Visit the butcher at your local New World meat counter for a New Zealand leg of lamb. Not only will they butterfly it on request for you, but they can share cooking tips and tricks to help you get the perfect result too.
- Summer BBQ
- 1 cup Thick greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp Allspice
- 2 tsp Chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp Thyme leaves
- ½ tsp Chilli flakes
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Lemon, zest of
- 750 g Butterflied boneless leg of lamb
- 4 Agria potatoes, medium sized, peeled, cubed and pre-boiled
- 1 sprig Fresh rosemary
- 2 Garlic cloves, sliced in half
- 2 Tbsp Oil, for frying
- Mix the marinade ingredients together well in a non-reactive dish that will hold the lamb. Place the lamb in the dish and coat with marinade. Leave overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Barbecue the lamb for 20-30 minutes until cooked to your liking, turning half way through.
- Fry the potatoes with rosemary and garlic in hot oil a frying pan on the barbecue hotplate at the same time as the lamb is cooking on the grill.
- Allow the lamb to rest for 10 minutes before slicing to serve with yoghurt sauce (below), hot potatoes and a cucumber and tomato salad.
Yoghurt sauce: Mix 1/2 cup thick Greek yoghurt with 1/2 crushed garlic clove, 1 Tbsp chopped mint, a good squeeze of lemon and a good pinch of salt.