Massaman chicken skewers with coconut rice
Alternating chicken with potato for these spicy Thai skewers stretches a small amount of chicken to feed four. Plain rice could be served instead of coconut rice but it does bring a level of rich, creaminess to the meal. The salsa-style salad balances everything with its tangy sweetness.
- 450 g skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 6 Small potatoes
- 4 Tbsp Massaman curry paste
- 1 Oil, for drizzling
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup Water
- 1 pinch Salt
- Cut chicken thighs in to large dice and marinate in 2 Tbsp of curry paste for 1 hour or overnight.
- Cut the potatoes in quarters and boil in salted water until just tender. Leave to marinate in the other 2 Tbsp of curry paste for 1 hour or overnight.
- Bring rice, coconut milk, water and salt to the boil, then stir well, turn down heat, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam another 15 minutes before lifting the lid and fluffing with a fork.
- Thread the chicken and potatoes on to skewers, drizzle with oil and cook on a barbecue or grill pan for 10-15 minutes, turning frequently, until chicken is cooked.
- Serve the chicken skewers on rice with cucumber and pineapple salad (recipe below).
Cucumber and pineapple salad
- Mix ¼ cup lemon juice with 2 Tbsp sugar and ¼ tsp salt until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Add 1 red chilli, chopped, 1 shallot, thinly sliced, ¼ cup coriander leaves, ¼ cup mint leaves, 2 cups diced cucumber and 1 cup diced pineapple and mix well.