Teriyaki chicken and coleslaw
View the method
- 2 Tbsp Soft brown sugar
- 5 Tbsp Mirin
- 5 Tbsp Cooking sake
- 5 Tbsp Light soy sauce
- 4 Free-range boned & skinned chicken thighs
- 1 serving Plain flour, for dusting
- 1 dash Sunflower oil
- 1 Tbsp Black sesame seeds
- 4 handfuls Finely shredded cabbage
- 4 Tbsp Kewpie mayo
- 1 serving Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Back to ingredients
- Place the sugar, mirin, sake and soy sauce in a small saucepan and place over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring up to a boil, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Score the chicken on both sides in a criss-cross pattern. Cover the chicken with baking paper and using a meat mallet or a small saucepan, flatten the chicken a little. Dust chicken with flour.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6 minutes, turning once or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the sauce and allow it to boil up. Remove from the heat.
- To make the coleslaw, mix together the cabbage and mayonnaise and season.
- To serve, slice the chicken and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Serve with cooked rice and the coleslaw.