Apple pie porridge
What better start to a chilly morning than a comforting bowl of porridge for breakfast, ribboned with apple and spiced with cinnamon. Double the recipe to make a big batch for your family!
- 60g rolled oats
- 200ml milk of your choice
- 150ml water
- 10g butter
- 1 apple
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon + extra for topping
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Honey or maple syrup and chopped nuts, to finish (optional)
TIP: If you don’t have any fresh apples, substitute ¼ cup of diced canned apple slices!
- In a small pot, combine the oats, milk, water and butter. Cut the apple in half. Grate half into the porridge mixture, then add the brown sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt.
- Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil while stirring. Reduce to a low medium heat, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the oats are thick and creamy.
- Once cooked, split the oats into two bowls. Thinly slice the remaining apple. Top the porridge with a sprinkle of cinnamon, drizzle of honey and apple slices.