- ¼ cup Pams Butter
- ¼ cup Pams Plain Flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 cups Pams Grated Tasty Cheese
- 1 Sourdough Bakery Loaf, cut into 12 thick slices
- 1 pack Pams Sliced Champagne Ham
- 6 Pams Free Range Eggs
- To make the béchamel sauce, add the butter to a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. When the butter begins to melt, add the flour and cook, stirring continuously, for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously to avoid any lumps. Once all milk is added and the sauce has thickened, season generously with salt and pepper and stir through 1 tbsp of mustard and half of the cheese.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce in the bottom of a lasagne-sized baking dish. Place 6 slices of bread in a single layer in the bottom of the dish. Evenly spread the remaining mustard on the slices of bread and top with the ham. Spoon a couple of tablespoons of the sauce over each sandwich, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Top with the remaining 6 slices of bread and press down gently to sandwich securely together. Spread the remaining sauce on top of the sandwiches and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven at 200°C for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbling.
- When it has 5 minutes left in the oven, fry the eggs in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat for 3 minutes or until yolks are set.
- Place a fried egg on top of each sandwich and serve immediately.
Try adding sautéed mushrooms in place of ham for a tasty veggie version!