Mexican style breakfast tostadas
Step aside eggs benedict, these Mexican-style breakfast tostadas are the new star of brunch! Topped with fresh salsa and creamy avocado, enjoy a truly delicious start to the day. Even better, if you’re wanting to go meat-free you just need to omit the bacon for the perfect veggie brekkie.
- 4 tortillas (or premade tostadas)
- Pams Olive oil
- 8 rashers bacon
- 100g tinned black beans or kidney beans, drained
- 2 tsp Mexican seasoning
- 2 large truss tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp finely diced red onion
- Handful fresh coriander or parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- 4 large eggs
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 30g feta cheese, crumbled
- Sliced red chilli, additional coriander leaves and lime wedges, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. Brush the tortillas with olive oil on both sides, then lay onto a lined baking tray. Place into the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy*.
- Set the tortillas to one side, then lay the bacon rashers onto a wire rack, then set on top of a lined baking tray. Place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy; turning over halfway through cooking.
- While the bacon is cooking, combine the black beans and taco seasoning with ¼ cup of water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat, then lightly mash with a vegetable masher. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the diced tomatoes, red onion, lime juice then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pan fry the eggs with a drizzle of oil to your liking, then bring all the elements together for assembly. To build the tostadas, spread the black bean mixture evenly over each tortilla.
- Top the tostadas with the cooked bacon, followed by a fried egg. Lay the sliced avocado alongside the egg, then spoon over the tomato salsa. Top with crumbled feta, sliced chilli and additional coriander leaves, then serve immediately with lime wedges and enjoy.