The Big Breakfast
What better way to start the day than with the classic ‘Big Breakfast’. This recipe combines all the favourites; bacon, sausages, potatoes and eggs with a couple of fresh accompaniments, providing a hearty, satisfying and complete meal.
- Potato rosti (as per recipe below)
- 2 - 3 breakfast sausages (or sausages of choice)
- 3 slices of streaky bacon
- 1 large tomato, sliced crossways
- ½ bunch of spinach, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp of sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of whole grain or sough dough bread
- Butter and oil to cook
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Turn oven on to low heat, oven tray set in the middle of the oven.
- Prepare and cook rosti as per recipe.
For the sausages, bacon and tomatoes:
- Heat a heavy bottom fry pan on a medium heat, add a little oil and then the sausages, and cook until browned all over, turning frequently. Transfer to serving plate and place in the pre-warmed oven.
- Add bacon to pan and cook to preference, transferring to oven plate along with the sausages when done.
- Return fry pan to a low heat on a back element, add tomatoes, cut side down and leave to cook.
For the creamed spinach:
- In another fry pan on medium heat, add a splash of oil, add the spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted. Stir through the sour cream and garlic (if using).
- Season to taste and transfer to the serving plate.
- Finally cook the eggs to your liking; poached, scrambled or fried – and while the eggs are cooking, toast the bread.
- When the eggs are ready, place on top on the toast, add to the plate with the bacon and sausages, add the tomatoes, creamed spinach and potato rosti, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and serve.
- Enjoy with hot coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice or a berry smoothie.
To reduce the fat content of this dish, sausages and bacon can be grilled in the oven and when cooked, transferred onto a plate with paper towels to absorb any remaining fat.
The tomatoes can also be grilled. Place tomatoes cut side up on an oven proof tray lined with a sheet of baking paper, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill until browned.