Vanilla coconut porridge with rhubarb
Plain porridge is a thing of the past, so say hello to our vanilla and coconut porridge with gorgeous blush-toned rhubarb. This variation puts a deliciously luxurious twist on the classic breakfast go-to, whilst remaining an affordable and filling option for any day of the week.
- 400g fresh rhubarb, trimmed roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp caster or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp + 1 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 2 cups Pams rolled oats or porridge cereal
- 400ml Pams coconut milk
- 400ml water
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut or coconut flakes, toasted
- To make the rhubarb compote, combine the rhubarb and ⅓ cup sugar in a saucepan. Stir to combine, then leave to sit for 10 minutes or until some liquid releases from the rhubarb.
- Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and add 2 tsp vanilla. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the rhubarb has almost broken down. Set aside.
- To make the porridge, combine the oats, coconut milk, remaining sugar and vanilla with 400ml of water and a pinch of salt. Place over low heat, and cook while stirring for 4-5 minutes or until the porridge is thick and creamy.
- Divide the porridge amongst four bowls, then top with rhubarb compote. Finish with a sprinkle of toasted coconut, and serve immediately.
Skill level: easy
Double the rhubarb compote recipe and prepare ahead of time, to make mornings a little more stress-free. Simply warm in the microwave when needed or spoon directly over your porridge!