Waffles and berries with salted caramel sauce
No matter if it’s breakfast, brunch or dessert, waffles make a delicious meal. Served with berries and caramel sauce, they’re mouth-wateringly good – but they’ll also taste amazing with vanilla ice cream and maple syrup.
- 2 cups Pams Self Raising Flour
- ½ teaspoon Pams Baking Soda
- 3 Pams Free Range Eggs, separated
- 1½ cups Pams Milk
- 30g Pams Butter, melted
- 125g raspberries
- 125g blueberries
- 250g strawberries, halved
Salted caramel sauce
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup Pams Cream
- 50g Pams Butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- To make the salted caramel sauce, place the brown sugar, cream, butter, vanilla and salt into a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to mediumlow and simmer for 4-5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To prepare the waffles, sift the flour and baking soda into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Place the egg yolks and milk into a bowl and whisk to combine. Gradually pour into the well of the dry ingredients, whisking continuously until the batter is smooth. Stir in the melted butter.
- Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Fold into the batter.
- Preheat a lightly greased waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. Working in batches, cook ½-cup portions of the waffle batter until golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining waffle batter to make 6 waffles.
- Serve the waffles with the salted caramel sauce and berries.
- For a special twist, roast the fresh berries with a little sugar and the zest of a lemon.
- If you like, you can use store-bought waffles or caramel sauce instead of making your own.