- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 300g-400g chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
Corn and stone fruit slaw
- 2 cobs fresh corn kernels* or 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/8 cabbage* or remaining cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot*, grated
- 2 large nectarines, cut into small cubes or thin slices
- 1 tablespoon sour cream, yoghurt, or mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup nuts and seeds (if desired)
- 8 sliders or buns
* These ingredients are shared with other recipes from the summer weekly meal planner.
- Poach chicken breast for about 10 minutes or until cooked, leave to cool slightly and shred using two forks or your fingers if it is cool enough to handle.
- Boil corn in a pot to heat through and cook, drain. Combine the slaw ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on the stove over medium heat. Add smoked paprika and shredded chicken and stir.
- Add the barbecue sauce and mix to evenly coat the chicken. Test taste, adding more spice, salt, and pepper, or teaspoonfuls of barbecue sauce.
- Toast the buns or heat them in the oven.
- To serve, scoop generous spoonfulls of the slaw onto the bottom half of the bun, top with the BBQ chicken and the top half of the bun. Serve any additional slaw on the side.
Cooking tips: To save time poach the chicken a day or two before hand, store in a sealed container in the fridge and shred just before cooking. You can substitute the smoked paprika with any of your favourite spice mixes. You can also use any sauce you like instead of BBQ sauce.
Adapt it: As a vegetarian option swap out the chicken for two cans of young green jackfruit. For protein substitutions use shredded beef, lamb, or pork, grilled or pan-fried fish.
Leftover tips: Eat for lunch the next day.