Loaded with Italian flavours in a rich tomato sauce, this dish is surprisingly easy to make, and economical too. Serve with rice or pasta and you’ll have a tasty, home cooked meal for the whole family ready in no time.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- Olive oil
- 1 brown onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 capsicums, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly diced
- 250g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 150 ml red wine (optional)
- ½ cup pitted black or green olives
- 2 x 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pinch of chilli flakes, if desired
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil and/or parsley
- Mashed potato, pasta or rice to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Season the chicken breast pieces with salt and pepper, then dust with flour.
- Bring a large ovenproof pan to a medium high heat with a generous drizzle of oil and sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes either side or until golden. Set aside and repeat until all chicken pieces are seared.
- Lower the temperature to a medium heat and add the onion and garlic to the pan with another drizzle of olive oil. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, then add the capsicums, carrot, mushrooms and mixed herbs. Cook while stirring for a further 5 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have softened, add the red wine to deglaze the pan and reduce for 5-6 minutes.
- Finally, add the olives, tinned tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and chilli flakes to the vegetable mixture, stirring well. Season with salt and pepper, then nestle the chicken breast pieces into the tomato sauce.
- Place the pan into the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are cooked through. Once cooked, remove from the oven and sprinkle with the fresh herbs before serving.