Chicken Karaage is a typical Japanese appetizer/street food. I couldn't wait to make this dish for my hubby as soon as I got back from my recent vacation to Tokyo. Well, now my hubby loves it so much that he makes it on his own every week!
- 500 g Boneless Chicken Thigh
- Ginger, approx. 10cm, pounded to extract juice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 tbsp sake
- 1 tsp Seasame Oil
- Corn Starch/Flour, to coat the marinated chicken
- oil, for deep frying
- Lemon Slices, to serve
- mayonnaise, to serve
- Wash and cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a bowl marinate the chicken in ginger juice,sake,soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Let the chicken pieces sit in the marinate for a good 10- 15 mins to soak up all the simple,clean yet amazing flavours.
- Coat one chicken piece at a time in the corn starch/flour.
- Heat up the frying pan with oil for deep frying (to around 180 degrees).
- Drop the chicken pieces in the oil and fry for about 3-4 mins or till crispy golden brown. (Tip - sit chicken on a paper towel for a minute and deep fry again for another minute for a succulent, crunchy Chicken Karaage.)
- Serve hot, garnished with spring onion, chilli, with lemon slices and mayonnaise dip. Enjoy!
Wine Suggestion : Allan Scott Marlborough Chardonnay