Chicken katsu with super slaw and sesame dressing
Perfect for kids and adults alike, this Chicken Katsu is nothing short of delicious! Chicken breast is excellent for crumbing and perfect for a quick meal, especially when served with colourful Super Slaw! This Japanese-inspired dish uses light and crunchy panko crumbs, which absorb less grease and stays crispier for longer.
- 500g skinless chicken breast.
- ½ cup Pams Pure Plain Flour.
- 2 Pams Free Range Mixed Grade Eggs, lightly beaten.
- 2 cups Pams Panko Crumbs.
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds.
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil.
- 3 Tbsp apple cider or rice vinegar.
- 1 tsp sugar.
- ½ packet Pams Superfoods Super Slaw.
- Slice the chicken horizontally, then cut each piece into 3 lengths.
- Put the flour, eggs and panko crumbs into separate bowls. Add salt and pepper to the flour bowl. Dip the chicken pieces in the flour, then the egg and finally into the panko crumbs, pressing well to ensure they’re covered. Set aside on a tray until ready to cook.
- To make the dressing for the slaw, heat a wide frying pan over a medium heat and add the sesame seeds. Cook for a few minutes until golden and toasted. Put aside in a small bowl. When cool, add the sesame oil, vinegar, sugar and 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Add a generous splash of oil to the pan and over a medium heat add the crumbed chicken (you may need to do this in batches). Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix the slaw with the sesame seed dressing and serve with the chicken.
Top tips: Serve with white or brown rice and drizzle some of your favourite sauce over the katsu chicken. Try chipotle mayo, sriracha sauce, tomato sauce or sweet chilli sauce.