Chicken couscous salad
Where Morocco meets New Zealand. A simple, uncomplicated, delicious couscous salad that the entire family will enjoy.
View the method
- 1 green and red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red and orange kumara, peeled and cubed
- ¼ pumpkin, skin removed and cubed
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped coarsely
- ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 7 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ½ block of feta, cubed (flavoured or plain)
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- Box of flavoured couscous (Mediterranean or spinach & lemon are good)
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 tub of tzatziki yoghurt dip
- 3 skinless chicken breasts
Back to ingredients
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place chicken in the middle of baking paper squares. Place a teaspoon each of crushed garlic, chopped thyme, splash of balsamic and chilli flakes (optional). Seal to make parcels and bake for 15-20 minutes until juices run clear when pierced. Set aside to rest.
- Place peppers, kumaras, pumpkin, onion and garlic cloves in a roasting dish and mix with half the balsamic vinegar and half olive oil and thyme. Roast for 25-30 minutes turning vegetables at half way and tossing through the remaining balsamic, oil and thyme.
- Cook couscous according to packet instructions. If you've cooked your own chicken parcels cook couscous minus ½ cup of the suggested water/stock because your going to add the juice of half a lemon and ½ cup of the cooked chicken juice from the parcels. Fluff with metal fork.
- Chop chicken into small cubes or shred cooked chicken.
- To serve combine all cooked ingredients on a large serving platter together with sundried tomatoes, feta and cashews and salt and pepper to taste and a last squeeze of lemon juice. Drizzle with Tzatziki.